Thursday, June 14, 2007

SKATEBOARDING - SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA


Little story for you all.....

When I was 21 - no younger, as I wouldn’t be able to booze it, I moved to Encinitas a surf town in San Diego, California - although I actually did not know this until I got there.

In a cloud of bud I didn't research my new environment until I went, so when I arrived I was shocked to see all the things I saw watching endless skateboard videos and in numerous magazines whilst growing up in England.

For example, that Civic Centre bank that Aaron Harrison ollies into and Bam dragons into in Welcome To Hell (Toy Machine) video. The YMCA Skate park practically built by Tony Hawk, and the famous San dieguito High School rail which saw the likes of Tom Penny and Geoff Rowley in their days along with Steve Berra and Rick Mcrank who filmed it in the Birdhouse video "The End", and many many more!

So for me it was really weird.

For example there was this little skate park, quite crap really. I was skating there one day and all of a sudden Matt Mumford and his mates pulled up to kick about. I think I did a manual nollie flipper out and got a clap from him, cool.

Down at Moonlight beach in Encinitas was a car park. A guy called Jeff King (who owns King rails) set up a rail session every week. About 100+ skaters would turn up and destroy the place. Including the likes of Richard Argüelles who rides for Adidas, PJ Ladd came down a couple times, Kenny Hoyle who got picked up by Kayo distribution - check his section out in "The Official" vid. What about this kid Ronson Lambert. His part in Transworld's Forecast video is crazy and that “Rainy days” footage, type that into YouTube now!

Going to Mike Mcgills skateshop was a trip to.

So coming from a posh little town in South East England to the video world of skateboarding in San Diego was really insane and I'd urge any keen skater to head out to San Diego and check the vibe. Heres another thing, Rob dyrdek ordered a pizza at Papa Johns, when I did a delivery stint that was funny. My mate delivered one to Tony Hawk.

I don't usually care about this stuff, famous peeps etc, but when they are amazing skateboarders who have shaped the industry it's cool!

Anyway, thought I'd share that bit of my life with you lot.

Piece!

5 comments:

green coffee beans weight loss said...

Nice article, thanks for the information. It's very complete information. I will bookmark for next reference.

garcinia cambogia free bottle offer said...

I really enjoyed reading this post, I always appreciate topics like this being discussed to us. Thanks for sharing.

drawer furniture said...

I like the way you described the topic with such clarity. Thanks for Describing Everything.

flip flop online buy said...

Really great post nice work i love your work and its really helped me in my research.Thanks

winstrol tablets results said...

Good article, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this subject. Keep posting.

strongest legal steroid
deca durabolin for sale
winstrol tablets results
trenbolone pills for sale
dianabol side effects for men
does anavar burn fat
anadrol tablets results